Tuesday, January 23, 2007

 

The Congressional Cullah'd Waterfountain

Presented without comment:
Freshman Rep. Stephen I. Cohen, D-Tenn., is not joining the Congressional Black Caucus after several current and former members made it clear that a white lawmaker was not welcome.

[...]

"Mr. Cohen asked for admission, and he got his answer. ... It's time to move on," [Rep. William Lacy Clay Jr., D-MO] said. "It's an unwritten rule. It's understood. It's clear."

[...]

Rep. Pete Stark, D-Calif., who is white, tried in 1975 when he was a sophomore representative and the group was only 6 years old.

"Half my Democratic constituents were African-American. I felt we had interests in common as far as helping people in poverty," Stark said. "They had a vote, and I lost. They said the issue was that I was white, and they felt it was important that the group be limited to African-Americans."


Well, one comment--what's with the old-style abbreviations for the states? They switched to two-letter abbreviations when I was in elementary school, so you know, a loooong time ago!

Comments:
HAHHA hah i thought your comment was definitely going to be political, not about the abbreviations!

CA is obvious enough, but MA, ME, MO, MI get very confusing. I don't think the 2-letter system is quite as intuitive as it should be, I think they should have used 3.

MAS, MNE or MAI, MOS, MIS -- more obvious.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?