Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

It's Jimmy Buffett, not Frank Sinatra

That's how my cousin Karlie described the dress code for her (shotgun? I don't know!) wedding, which will be held Saturday at her parents' house. Why do I not say it's at my aunt's or uncle's house? Her mom is actually my first cousin, though she was born 20-some years ahead of the rest of us. I admit I was sort of looking forward to being the classy east-coaster in the group, but the t-shirt dress code makes packing a lot easier since I should now be able to get everything into my backpack and avoid checking a bag on my two-part flight to Phoenix tomorrow. That's a long flight just to turn around and come back on Sunday, but it'll help that dad's going to be on the connecting flight with me.

Anyway, back to the wedding. This all began (from my point of view) with an email that arrived about midnight on a Friday three weeks ago. It cryptically said that Karlie is getting married on the 16th and they'd love to have me show up for the party. Who's the groom? No idea! Then plot thickened when dad called to say that not only was Karlie getting hitched, but her sister Sara had finally decided on a guy and was already married, having eloped in Vegas a few weeks before. Seems her longtime (but ex- for about a year) boyfriend finally moved out of his mom's house and did something with his life, which is apparantly what she was waiting for. She's pregnant, and some of us wonder if Karlie is too, but in my case that's mainly due to lack of information. Is this the same guy she was going to marry three years ago? A different one? It's going to take the whole trip just to catch up on all the gossip. I can't wait. The only downside is that it means I had to bail on a previously planned weekend with some friends in the mountains. But hey, how many times does your favorite cousin get married? (shh, that was rhetorical...)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?